Beetroot Burger Beauties 🍔
Nothing quite beats a good burger. However a good vegan burger can be surprisingly hard to find! I'm all about the veggie / bean burgers as opposed to the meal alternative style burgers, but even so, often i find veggie burgers are either soggy, dry or tasteless.
Not this one my friends! I've played around with a lot of vegan burger recipes. We have our signature burger available to buy here. And tonight's recipe is a beetroot spin on our classic bean burger.
Beetroot has really skyrocketed in popularity over the passed couple decades and I can totally understand why, i love it! Beetroot juice, beetroot salad, beetroot slaw, beetroot burger, beetroot cake even!
Watch this weeks Nutritional Nugget to find out why beetroot is so good for you...
100g raw beetroot contains: 43kcal | 9.6g carbs | 1.6g protein | 0.2g fat
Beetroot gets it's lovely pink colour from betalains, which are also used as natural food colourings, which figures! But not only do betalains make a lovely colour they also provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory & detoxification support.
Ingredients (makes 5 burgers)
🍔 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
🍔 1x 400g can black beans
🍔 2x medium beetroots (1.5 cups of grated beetroot)
🍔 1x red onion
🍔 1/2 cup ground walnuts
🍔 1x tsp cumin
🍔 1/2x tsp smoked paprika
🍔 1x tsp salt
🍔 1 tbsp dill
🍔 2x tbsp olive oil
To really make a meal of it:
🍔 5x wholemeal rolls
🍔 20g rocket or salad leaves
🍔 1/2 cucumber
🍔 vegan mayo / sriracha / hummus / sauce of your choice
🍔 5x medium white potatoes
Equipment you will need:
🔪 frying pan
🔪 small sauce pan
🔪 mixing bowl
🔪 potato masher or blender
🔪 mixing spoon
- Bring 1 cup water to the boil with 1/2 cup quinoa, then reduce to a simmer for c. 8 mins or until the quinoa is cooked and has absorbed all the water. Drain if necessary to ensure the quinoa is not sitting in water. Set aside.
- Peel and finely dice the red onion. Fry in 1/2 tbsp olive oil until soft.
- Drain & rinse the can of black beans and then mash with a potato masher so the beans are starting to get sticky.
- Peel & grate your 2x medium beetroot.
- Combine the drained quinoa, fried red onion, mashed black beans and grated beetroot into a bowl.
- Add the 1/2 cup ground walnuts, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika & 1 tbsp dill to the bowl and mix well.
- Divide the patty mixture into five, then using your hands compact into 5x tight balls of mixture then gently flatten and shape into burger patty rounds.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add 3-4 burger patties to the pan, depending on the size of the pan. Cook for 5-8 mins, then gently flip and cook on the other side for 5-8 mins.
- I think these taste delicious served in a bun with some rocket and slices of cucumber, finished with a dollop of hummus or a drizzle of vegan mayo if you'd prefer.
- If you want to make a proper meal of it, cut a few potatoes into wedges, place the on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and black pepper, pop them in the oven for 10-15 mins at 200degrees and there you have it - a delicious beetroot burger with potato wedges 😋
These burgers last well in the fridge for a couple days or they also freeze pretty well too. If you want them to hold their shape well to eat in a bun then I'd recommend defrosting and then re-heating in the oven as they tend to go a bit squidgy if you re-heat in the microwave.
Drop me a comment below if you try this recipe or share your creations on instagram @newnorm_plantbased
Until next week 😘