Breakfast doesn't have to be boring. Cacao & raspberry porridge recipe
Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, i could eat banana porridge everyday for the rest of my life (recipe in earlier blog - 'Healthy sustainable weight loss').
However, i get it some people think that porridge can get a bit boring, but all you need to do is mix up your flavours, no need to turn your back on porridge!!?
Four reasons why porridge is the bomb:
- Oats are packed full of fibre so keep you fuller for longer.
- It's so diverse, you can make it fresh & fruity, rich and chocolatey, sweet & nutty or you can even go savoury if that's you bag.
- It's quick and easy to make and easy to experiment with it to get it just the way you like it
- You make it work for your nutrition goals, whether that be low/ high fat, protein or kcals:
- If you want a low fat porridge make it with water and use fruit to add natural sweetness and flavour. It's surprising how creamy porridge is without milk, but if you do want a little extra creaminess use a low fat plant-based milk, they're all relatively low in fat apart from coconut milk which is quite high fat.
- If do want to include some healthy fats in your breakfast then make it with coconut milk and add a nut butter of your choice, you could even top it off with some nutty sprinkles and cacao nibs.
- Or if you want to up your protein intake then you can do this with nut butters and nuts or if you really want a protein injection then you can add a spoonful of plant-based protein powder, there's loads on the market, it's a bit of a minefield but i'd recommend using one that is made from pea & rice protein to ensure you're getting all 9 essential amino acids.
And maybe this is weird, but for me porridge is the ultimate comfort food, 100% a hug in a bowl!
If you're still not convinced, just give this recipe a go and see if you can't be convinced!
Cacao, almond & raspberry porridge
1 tsp cacao powder
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp coconut sugar
300ml almond milk
Handful of fresh or frozen raspberries
- Combine everything in a large bowl
- Microwave on full power for 3 minutes stirring halfway
- Depending on how you like your porridge, thick or runny add more milk or microwave for a bit longer after the 3 mins
- Top with flaked almond, extra raspberries or some cacao nibs if you want to make it insta worthy ;-)
Let me know what you think or hit me up with your favourite porridge creations in the comments below, i'm always looking for porridge inspiration!