Get your bake on whilst you're stuck indoors
So we're all in agreement that being stuck indoors sucks. But every cloud has a silver lining and I think this one is that we've got more time to experiment in the kitchen. I've seen so many more wonderful baking creations popping up on instagram...yum!
If you're anything like me you've probably had those moments when you're massively craving chocolate or something sweet. I hate to admit it, but ordinarily i'd probably just run to the shop to pick up some chocolate, but when that's no longer an option we've got to get creative!
This cacao orange torte is a great option because it will last a while, you'll get at least 10 slices out of it and it also stores frozen pretty well, so if you think it will last that long you can pop half in the freezer for next week!
- 300g flaked almonds
- 7 tbsp cacao powder
- 200g medjool dates
- 75g maple syrup
- 2 oranges; zest & juice
- 4x avocados
- 2 large orange; zest & juice
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g cashews
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- Soak cashews in boiling water for 1hr, set aside.
- Place flaked almonds in a food processor, blitz until fine.
- De-stone & roughly chop medjool dates, add to blender along with the rest of base ingredients.
- Blend for 3-5 mins until it had reached a firm sticky consistency.
- Spoon into a 30cm cake tin with releasing base, smooth with the back of a metal spoon to create a thick even base.
Place in freezer for 20-30 mins, until firm.
Meanwhile make the topping:
- Place pre soaked cashews in food processor, blitz until fine.
- Scoop avocado flesh into food processor along with all remaining ingredients for topping.
- Blitz for 3-5 mins until it has reached a smooth consistency.
- Spoon out onto the base and smooth with the back of a metal spoon.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Decorate with additional grated orange zest and/or cacao powder.
Happy baking folks!
Drop me a message in the comments with any questions or to let me know how it turns out for you