Plant-based bread & butter pudding 🤤
As the nights start closing in and let's face it, staying in and getting cosy is pretty much our only option right now, desserts are calling my name!
Bread and butter pudding is such an unsung hero in my opinion and actually super easy to veganise.
So if you've got some bread that's going stale, don't despair, it's a great excuse to make a delicious dessert 😁
I tend to opt for almond milk as my plant-based milk of choice and it's subtle nuttiness is particularly delicious in bread & butter pudding.
240ml almond milk contains: 39kcal | 3.5g carbs | 1g protein | 3g fat
Almond milk is a great alternative to dairy milk, particularly if you are trying to lose weight as it is a low calorie alternative to dairy as well as to other plant-based alternatives.
Almond milk is naturally high in vitamin E which is great for your skin & eyes as well as just generally fighting off those free radicals like all antioxidants are.
Always read the label of any plant-based milk to check what's been added to it. There's likely to be some added nutrients such as calcium, vit D and vit B12 - but don't assume this will be equal across all brands, it's always worth checking.
It's also worth checking if you have picked up a sweetened or unsweetened milk. I would always suggest opting for unsweetened, if you want something a little sweeter then you can add natural sweetness, that way you know how much and where it's come from.
Plant-based bread & butter pudding
Ingredients (serves 6)
🥛 50g cashews
🥛 150ml boiling water (for soaking cashews)
🥛 4 slices wholemeal bread
🥛 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted enough to be spreadable)
🥛 80g raisins
🥛 3 tbsp coconut sugar
🥛 500ml almond milk
🥛 1 tbsp flax seed powder
🥛 1 tsp cinnamon
🥛 1/2 tsp nutmeg
🥛 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Place the cashews in a small bowl / measuring jug that you can use with a hand blender. Cover with 150ml boiling water. Set aside to soak for 10 mins, before blending to a smooth paste.
- Melt your coconut oil to a spreadable consistency - not completely to liquid or it will be difficult to spread.
- 'Butter' your bread with a generous layer of coconut oil.
- Cut the slices of bread into thirds or quarters, whatever visually you think will work with the size & shape of your oven dish (I tend to use approx 9" x 6" oven dish).
- Create an even layer of coconut oil slathered bread on the bottom of your oven dish.
- Scatter 1/2 the raisins on top of the bread layer, then repeat so you have 2x layers of bread & raisins.
- In a measuring jug combine the blended cashews with the almond milk, flax seed powder, vanilla essence, cinnamon, nutmeg & 2 tbsp coconut sugar (hold back 1 tbsp coconut sugar for sprinkling on top).
- Pour the blended cashews & almond milk mixture into the corners of the dish, the liquid should begin to rise up to fill the dish soaking the bread.
- Finally sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp coconut sugar over the top of the pudding to give it a nice golden brown and sweet topping.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Delicious served with some plant-based cream or ice cream 🤤
This keeps well in the fridge for 48hrs and can be easily warmed in the microwave if you don't get through it all straight away!
Check out our cook-along video where I make this recipe live
Drop me a comment below if you try this recipe or share your creations on instagram @newnorm_plantbased
Until next week 😘