Heard a lot about plant-based diets recently? Wondering what it's all about, or thinking about making the shift?
Eating a plant-based diet is good for your holistic health; your mind, body & soul.
It's good for the planet; reducing your consumption of animal products helps reduce the production of greenhouse gases.
It's so full of flavour, texture and variety, it truly is delicious.
Everyone has different motivations for making a change to their lifestyle, here's some of the main benefits of adopting a plant-based diet, as we see it:
- Sustainable for you and the planet: It's very widely reported that a plant based diet contributes significantly less greenhouse gases than a diet centred around animal products. Eating a plant-based diet is also sustainable for you, because it's filling, varied and delicious so you will fins it satisfying and easy to eat this way long term.
- Good for digestion: A plant-based diet is high in fibre which is great for your digestion and keeps you regular, which is so important!
- Improves gut health: Plant-based whole foods are much easier for your body to digest than overly processed foods, meat or dairy which are all common causes of heartburn & indigestion.
- Supports immune system: Fruit & vegetables are packed full of antioxidants. Antioxidants fight free radicals that damage cells and can cause disease. So the more antioxidants you can cram into your diet the better!
- Clears complexion: Dairy and refined sugar are two of the most common causes of acne. Eating lost of vegetables that are high in vitamins A, C & E can have a really positive effect on your skin.
- Balances energy levels: Swapping highly processed refined sugars for natural sugars that still contain a source of fibre, for example dried fruit, gives a much slower release of energy. It also prevents the sugar highs and lows that are often experienced from consuming lots of refined sugar.
The list could go on, there are so many studies that support a plant-based diet, but the proof is in the pudding really. Give it a go for a week and see how you feel. It could be the best thing you've ever done!